During this period the band was still in its formative years and conscription was still in force, so the 18 year olds were being lost but when they returned they brought discipline to the band.
The early uniforms were cut from recycled police tunics and the Colonel-in-Chief was Mr E.W.C Pendleton, Chief Constable of Coventry Police Force.
In the 1950’s the band performed at many events in around the Coventry including Coventry Carnival, which is remembered for its long march, usually in gruelling hot weather together with many fetes and works open days. Then there were competitions, which the band came close to winning many times, then at Aston Villa’s Ground in 1956 took the trophy. This led to national recognition and an invitation to the national competition in Brighouse, West Yorkshire. The band was also called on to provide a national guard of honour for royalty on visits to the City.
By this time the Corps of Drums in its new uniform trimmed with the City’s colours of red, green and gold, were leading parades and demonstrating its marching abilities on the field.
In 1963 the Corps began to travel overseas and the first destination was Coventry’s twin City – Kiel in Germany, which the corps visited a number of years in succession along with Alkmaar in 1966 and beyond.
The Corps also played for the visit of Her Majesty the Queen to officially open the new Coventry Cathedral and other Civic engagements including the Lord Mayors Banquets, Guildhall Ceremonies.
In 1968 the Corps purchased a set of Coronation Fanfare instruments same as those played by the Queens state trumpeters. This was a pinnacle moment and Mr George another Coventry Businessman purchased a set of banners for the trumpets intricately woven and hand made in France.